What is Residential State Supplement?
Residential State Supplement (RSS)
The RSS program is a state-funded cash assistance program for certain Medicaid-eligible aged, blind or disabled adults who have been determined to be at risk of needing institutional care. A monthly supplement from the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services, in combination with the recipient's regular monthly income, is used to pay for accommodations, supervision and personal care services in approved community based living arrangements. The approved living arrangements are more home-like, congregate settings. Individuals enrolled in the RSS program also receive Medicaid benefits.
Each RSS consumer is assigned a Case Manager that is either a Licensed Social Worker or a Registered Nurse. The Case Manager maintains regular contact with the consumer and advocates for their on-going needs. The Case Manager links and coordinates the assistance they need with paid service providers and/or unpaid family members to ensure that consumers are able to maintain the highest possible level of independence and care.
The RSS Case Manager will:
- Monitor the delivery of all services identified for the recipient;
- Periodically re-evaluate the client’s residential setting and needs;
- Assist the client in accessing other medical and social services.
You may be eligible if...
- Are 18 years of age or older;
- Do not need 24-hour supervision;
- Require a residential placement and support
- Meet financial eligibility;
- Require a protective level of care; and
- Require less than 120 days of skilled nursing care.
RSS participants must live in a certified Adult Foster Home, licensed Adult Family Home, licensed Adult Group Home, licensed Residential Care Facility, certified Community Mental Health Housing or licensed Mental Health Residential Facility.
RSS benefits include:
- Residential case management;
- A monthly cash supplement to assist with the payment of room and board;
- Services available at a licensed or certified home (e.g., housekeeping, laundry, transportation and security); and
- A monthly personal needs allowance of $50.00.
Residential State Supplement (RSS) provides a monetary supplement to low-income adults with disabilities who do not require nursing home care. The supplement, along with the consumer's income, pays for an approved living arrangement.